Maptech Support

Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Land Navigation and Software: Map printing enlargement

      Old Forum User
Original Message
(Posted Dec 3, 2003 11:05 PM)
thread closed

I am on a 6,000 acre hunting lease and have used my Etrex Legend to create about 24 tracks of all of our main driving roads. I still have some old logging trails I need to document. I have downloaded all of these to my Terrain Navigator software (this took several trips to our lease because of the 10 track limitation of the GPS).

The question is: How can I get a very large map printed (in the area of 3 ft x 5 ft size). I want to use this as a map board at our camp site for marking daily hunting location of other hunters. The best I have been able to do is print it on 8-1/2 x 11 and then enlarge it to 11 x 17 on a copy machine. I would like to have a very large map printed in color. Is there any service around that can work with the file MapTech creates?

Replies 1 - 3 of 3

      Old Forum User
You need access to a plotter
(msg #n/a: Posted Dec 4, 2003 9:17 AM)

Some copy shops (ie "Kinkos") have large format printers (often called "plotters") that will print poster-sized images. Perhaps you could take Terrain Navigator to one of those shops, install it on their computer (temporarily), import your tracks, and print it on their plotter.

Please note that for this to work, you MUST have either Terrain Navigator PRO, or version 5.0x of Terrain Navigator. ***Version 6.0x of Terrain Navigator does not have the ability to print to large format printers/plotters.***

If their are no copy shops in your area that offer this service, check with local graphic design studios, etc. However, be aware that many of those places don't know what an IBM compatable PC is :-)


-Ed Lecuyer

Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support


      Old Forum User
Other solutions
(msg #n/a: Posted Dec 4, 2003 3:48 PM)


Installing your software on a copy shop computer is not viable or usually even allowed. For instance, your example of using Kinko's isn't allowed. However, they have a service that will allow you to print your files. They will print Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat(.PDF) and other type of files.

So if any of your customers have the full version of Adobe Acrobat they could print their maps(at whatever size) in TNPro to a PDF file. Then they could take that PDF file to Kinko's or any other copy shop to print it.

Another option would be to go to Kinko's.com and download their free File Prep Tool. This works exactly like using the full version of Adobe Acrobat, but instead the resulting KFP file can only be viewed using their software and only printed at a Kinko's store. The software is very simple to use and it also offers an option to send the file to Kinko's Online printing service via the Internet.

One last option is to use the export function of TNPro to export the map as a TIFF, Bitmap(BMP) or JPEG file. All copy shops should be able to read and print these files.

BTW, a 24in by 36in paper size is usually called D-size or ANSI D. A1(measured in millimeters) size is pretty close. All Kinko's should have plotters capable of printing this size. In fact, I use one in their self-service area all the time for making copies.

Tommy McClain


      Old Forum User
Thanks for sharing that information with everyone!
(msg #n/a: Posted Dec 4, 2003 3:51 PM)



Replies 1 - 3 of 3


© 1989 - 2015 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.